March 8, 2012

Euro 2008 Final Comments

I should have written this earlier, but good late than never. I just want to say I fully enjoyed Euro 2008. Before this competition I undoubtedly wasn't a big fan of International soccer as I see it somewhat secondary to club football in some aspects. Any way this tournament was great, and what could possibly be good than playing for your national team.

I want to congratulate, Spain for winning, I said from the starting of the competition that they were my favorite European team, and they proved why I like them so much. Their passes and timed runs were fantastic and I have to give a round of applause to their defense, who many people questioned since the beginning. It was good to see them end a 44 year duration in which they acquired no trophies, and I have to commend Fernando Torres for that fantastic goal he scored to derive victory and the title. He was rather disappointing throughout the tournament and I was just elated to see him seal the deal.

I have to also say well done to Xavi, who played exquisite all tournament and was voted Castrol Player of the Tournament. He dominated and dictated the Spanish midfield throughout the tournament, showed his maturity as a player and leader and thus he undoubtedly deserved this award.
Uefa also named its Team of the Tournament which is dominated by Spain, the 23 players include: Casillas, Buffon, Van der Sar, Marchena, Puyol, Bosingwa, Pepe, Lahm, Zhirkov, Senna, Xavi, Zyryanov, Modric, Altintop, Fabregás, Iniesta, Ballack, Podolski, Sneijder, Villa, Torres, Arshavin, Pavlyuchenko.




If you look at the list you will see there is no Cristiano Ronaldo and rightly so. I am very vital of Ronaldo as I don't think he deserves to be called the best in the world just yet, even though he has won the Champions League. He is constantly a no show against big teams, missed two penalties, one in the Champions League semi-final and the other in the final, which practically cost his team the title, and he didn't show up against Germany in the Euro quarter-final. Until Ronaldo becomes unselfish in character and play, I believe he is not deserving of the award. His lack of potential to pass in the manner that Xavi did, cost Portugal dearly and hence my speculate for why he's not on Uefa's 23 man list.

Once again, congrats to Euro 2008 winners, Xavi and Spain, they played the best football known to man and are worthy champions. Viva Espana!

Euro 2008 Final Comments

Spanish La Liga Zone Shopping Portsmouth FC Goals Clip Electric Motor Drives Krishnan